Wow... two posts in one week, I'm on a roll (if you've been keeping up with how little I've been keeping up lately).
I'm stoked about this update/conversation because I've been hoping to include this Cream City-based artist to the line-up of talent interviewed here. Why this artist? He was the number conspirator present when the idea for Muscles & Fights first came into being. He also graced us with his art in one of the 3 volumes.
So... without further ado...
1) For the uninitiated, your name and location?
Matt Chicorel - Milwaukee [WI].
2) What have you been up to lately? What projects have you been attached to in the first 6 months of 2008?
Regular comics in the LOVE IN THE TIME OF SCABIES zine, various album and poster art, and the first printed NLC book in a long time--BUZZPOP #1
*Note: (And Matt has very kindly offered to send me a copy... COOL!).
3) When and where can people pick up and/or see these works?
nightlightcomics.com, or from me if i'm around.
4) What projects and events are on the horizon? Do you have release dates in-mind at present? If so, indulge us.
Milwaukee Zine Fest for now. [I'll] probably start doing cons again next year when I've got some more printed material and/or money.
5) Have you been working in any new mediums or experimenting with your known style and tools, at all?
I did a poster on legal sized paper instead of 11x17 the other day...fucked me up.
*Note: Are you implying you got the stuffing kicked outta you by a sheet of paper, Matt? -AR
6) If you've been trying new things, share a bit of your thoughts on that process.
It's been a long time since I had mushrooms, but I got some the other day and it was grrrrrrrrreat.
*Note: Not quite the info I was after but I'm sure they were for medicinal purposes so that'll work -AR
7) Do you keep a sketchbook? If so, what do you get out of this process? Do you think it's a good thing, in general, for an artist to do?
Yeah, but I haven't been drawing in it as much as I probably should. It's important to have around though, that's for sure.
8) Do you ever use these sketchbook drawings for your printed works? If so, please explain how the sketchbook art informs your finished work.
Not unless it fucking rules.
9) With convention season in full swing, where can the comic book reading public expect to see you and purchase your merchadise [personally]?
...cons are still too expensive right now
10) The big convention this year has got to be Fallcon 2008. If you plan to be there, will you have anything special for that particular show?
Probably won't be able to make this one. Fuck. Next year?
*Note: Hopefully, with some work that "fucking rules". Right, Matt? -AR
11) Now we're caught up on what you're doing and where we can see this year. What are you reading and watching these days? Is there any particular book or film you'd like to make sure people are looking for?
My roomate just rented Kung Fu Hustle, and then I bought it cause it's super awesome! The only tv show I watch is Lost. Love it. I wOrk at the comic store, so I read too much... Monster Zoo (Doug TenNapel's new book) just came out-- that was good. Madman. Amazing Spidey. Detective. 100 Bullets. Futurama. Hickee. Atomic Robo!! Mouseguard.
12) Anything already in the works for 2009?
I've got some plans, but I'll have to wait and see what gets done. All in good time, though.
13) Do have any other thoughts you'd like to share?
Wish I didn't have to be up this early.
And, hey, I still gotta get me a copy of HEAVEE UNDERGROUND. Drop by the store one day, or should I just order it from lulu or whatever?
NIGHT LIGHT COMICS
*Note: No, Matt... I'll eventually make it back to the store and deliver the copy of Heavee Underground. I'm looking forward to seeing Buzzpop too! -AR
There you have it, folks. I'm back in the saddle again. There are more on the way. Until next time... keep the faith.